Already in the 1800s, Bryggmannsholmen and the adjacent Saltværsholmen were sites for fishing-related industries. One entrepreneur was Henrik Dreyer, who owned all of Henningsvær from 1842 to 1882. Fredriksenbruket, such as it stands today, is a characteristic fish factory from the 1950s-1970s. It consists of several buildings, a quay and an area for drying fish. Some of the buildings are meant as employee housing. The fish factory was run for many years by the company Fredriksens Sons, but it closed down in the late 1990s.
In 2015 Fredriksenbruket was bought by a couple from Oslo. Under the former factory’s name, they plan to restore and use the fish factory for art and cultural events.